Is this Tomy/Plarail or a Knockoff?

14 Replies, 19367 Views

Are these a real Tomy release or copycat trains? I think I have seen a White Rain Tomy EF unit train but the freight train (FTR?) pictured on top is new to me.

[Image: 14639_zps0b70335f.jpg]
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Both are completely authentic Tomy and very hard to find in box like this. Well I should say The silver EF 81 is rarer only released for one year only 1998 based on The real EF 81 that was Stainless Steel to prevent salt water damage as it was specifically designed to run near the ocean. The FTR on the other hand was a normal release for many years I think it is made up and not based on a real life train but it is a lovely set either way and the engine looks like something you would really enjoy Super!
Thanks Gerisplarail...I am sure glad you are here as you are a wealth of knowledge. Would you happen to know of a site or have a link for the FTR? I can't really tell from the box what its like. I like the information you gave on the EF81 being Stainless because of the salt winds, very interesting.
http://park11.wakwak.com/~plarail/sonota.html
Many thanks Geris...what would I do without you?
Here is an easier explanation Tomy basically took this engine and repainted it as a Frieght train.

[Image: DSCN3405_zpsae7a6fe1.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3404_zpsfd6cee7d.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gerisplarail1's post:
  • Super
Thanks I like the name [Image: widely-grinning-smiley-emoticon.gif] How do you know all this stuff?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
when i bought this set, facebook people told me it was a chinese market release. what say you, geri, knower of all things pla?

[Image: orange2.jpg]
my website address has changed: https://sunscollections.weebly.com/
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2014, 06:41 PM by sunhuntin.)
[-] The following 1 user Likes sunhuntin's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
(08-17-2014, 06:40 PM)sunhuntin Wrote: when i bought this set, facebook people told me it was a chinese market release. what say you, geri, knower of all things pla?

[Image: orange2.jpg]

yes that is one of the 6 repainted Japanese trains that was exclusively sold in the Chinese market. I have one as well for sale. One of the largest collectors of Plarail in Hong Kong told me these are among the rarest of Tomy Trains. And I have seen them sell on Jauce for 100,000 yen and more. Here is mine it is still mint in box.

Attached Files
.jpg   chinaplarailtrade.jpg (Size: 107.02 KB / Downloads: 108)
[-] The following 2 users Like Gerisplarail1's post:
  • Super, Ucwepn
Really??? $10,000??? [Image: very-shocked-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • thehsvdude