Tomica World Thomas and the Magic Railroad

16 Replies, 21904 Views

I thought I'd share these rarities...
What's the general consensus on these?
I'm supposing a Thomas model must have also been packaged the same way as well?

Attached Files
.jpg   image.jpg (Size: 80.75 KB / Downloads: 142)
Play nice & have fun!!Smile
(This post was last modified: 01-11-2015, 08:21 AM by MuddyPoppins.)
[-] The following 4 users Like MuddyPoppins's post:
  • sunhuntin, Super, Tharazero1, Ucwepn
Only Lady and Diesel 10 were packaged like this. Splatter and Dodge were released the following year so they missed out on those awesome boxes. From memory, the back features two promo images of the characters with Thomas.

I remember being in awe of them when I first saw them, and I got Lady, expecting I'd get Diesel 10 next, but I didn't!
[-] The following 1 user Likes jdogman's post:
  • MuddyPoppins
I have both of these but I threw away the boxes. Sometimes I wonder whether people actually want the things inside the boxes they buy or they simply want the boxes because that seems to be genuine proof of purchase.

Although, I do keep my boxes nowadays because it is easier to pack things as I collect more. Big Grin

-plarnold
[-] The following 3 users Like plarnold's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, MuddyPoppins, Super
jeez muddy. is there nothing you don't have? I always wanted information on this line? as far as tomica world Thomas trains goes... is there a list of them? what was there history and relationship to Thomas trains? does anyone know why it stopped?
Tomica World lasted from 1998-2002 in the UK replacing the Tomy Trains system with the giant trains, magnetic couplings, and dark blue track.

It pretty much featured most of the Plarail system items at the time released internationally, plus some European trains like the Virgin and the Eurostar. The Thomas trains were also released at the same time (although two sets were actually first made in 1997 in a nameless system with Thomas branded packaging), which mainly consisted of engines. The regular Tomica World trains and some destinations were discontinued in 2003, and the range was renamed Thomas Motor Road and Rail to focus on the Thomas range only.

Here's a list of the Thomas items, plus the destinations and track pieces.
http://tttetrackmaster.wikia.com/wiki/Tomica_World
  • Gerisplarail1
Did Tomica World also have a USA division as I thought the F-Unit trains (Amtrak, red and blue) were only released in the USA. Were there others that were only released in USA?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Yes, US exclusive trains were released as well but I don't know too much about some non-Thomas items. I'm not sure if the years released are the same as the UK. I think it might have debuted in the US in 2000.
  • KumaChan
Thanks Jdog.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • jdogman
so let me get this straight so I understand. as far as the u.k. goes.... first came tomy. then tomica world then motor road & rail? was this pattern specifically related to the u.k?
it was the same in Australia too.
[-] The following 2 users Like Ucwepn's post:
  • Super, Tharazero1