Two-speed Virgin?

6 Replies, 9168 Views

Am I right in thinking that the Tomy Intercity 125 Virgin Express 3-car unit was always a single speed model? That's what I thought anyway, but there's a listing on Ebay UK from one of the regular traders that says the one the're selling is 2-speed. Could there more than one version?

I've seen a 2-speed one on Ebay in the past but that was obviously a mod.

Also, is this model actually a repaint of a Japanese train? It doesn't look a lot like a 125 unit, and of course it has that spurious pantograph on the motor unit.
I not sure exactly the Virgin Express you are talking about, have a picture? If its like the ones I have then both mine are one speed. Just on & off on the motor switch not off-on-hi like 2 speed would have.

As far as a repaint, I have seen a couple other plain Tomy Japanese bullet trains that look to have a similar body with plain looking paint but I am not sure which came first.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
The Virgin is a repaint of the 21000 KINTETSU Urban Liner, The Kintetsu was made first Then Tomy Repainted as Virgin for the European Market, I don't think there would be A one speed and a two speed made, Tomy doesn't do that.

Attached Files
.jpg   21000 KINTETSU URBAN LINER.jpg (Size: 19.43 KB / Downloads: 59)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gerisplarail1's post:
  • Super
(03-05-2015, 01:21 PM)Super Wrote: I not sure exactly the Virgin Express you are talking about, have a picture?
Perhaps the two speeds are 'on' and 'off' then. It's this one:
[-] The following 1 user Likes chrisjo's post:
  • Super
Yes, both of mine are one speed. They may have confused it with the TGV's which are two speeds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
Here seems to be another variant. The seller says this is a Tomy Kintetsu Ise-Shima liner

Attached Files
.jpg   d6009.jpg (Size: 93.36 KB / Downloads: 27)
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
(03-05-2015, 03:45 PM)Super Wrote: Yes, both of mine are one speed. They may have confused it with the TGV's which are two speeds.
I contacted the vendor, who has checked the train and modified the listing to remove the 2-speed reference.
[-] The following 2 users Like chrisjo's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, Super