More Help with "What is This"?

16 Replies, 16076 Views

Any information please? Just guessing, but is this some special release for Panasonic battery's?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
is that yours?

it is based on a limited run of a real tram ran in Japan as a promotion for Panasonic Evolta batteries. I have been looking for one of these Plarail version's for some time.
(This post was last modified: 03-28-2015, 03:35 AM by Gerisplarail1.)
Thanks Geris

Is this a recent release or have been out for a while?
I have known about it's existence for about 2 months now but have only seen one picture in that time. The picture you posted is the second time I have seen it, I have been quietly to my self wondering on where and how to get it, looks like from what I can gather it is a prize giveaway of some sort. Not sure on how easy or hard this item will be to acquire I guess we'll have to keep our eyes peeled.
Will be interesting to find out what it took to win this as a prize.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
Panasonic had an event in November last year up in Akita (秋田) where they ran a custom designed train on an old railway line. The custom train ran on 99 D sized batteries to travel 8.50 kilometres.

There was a campaign along with this event where you had to spend ¥400 or more on Panasonic goods (presumably related to EVOLTA batteries) and then you were eligible to get original goods.

There were 5000 of these EVOLTA Plarail trains in total.

Of course, the campaign is now over.

I hope this helps. Wink

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
Many thanks Plarnold, that explains a lot. This was a real train that ran on 99 D sized batteries for 5.5 miles, wow, wonder if that was a single car or more and if it was loaded with passengers. The Japanese sure have great advertising events. Much more imaginable to get people to experience products than to simply have a TV or Internet advertising campaigns. only 5000 of them...and they are flooding the auction sites now so hopefully the prices will drop significantly.
The train was a single carriage and carried around 10 people.

-plarnold
[-] The following 1 user Likes plarnold's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
Thanks Plarnold

Still hard to believe it was powered by D batteries. Wonder if the were connected in parallel or in a series. My guess is series for 148.5 volts but how fast would that drain down. Parallel would only be 1.5 volts and I wouldn't think that would be enough but it would last...do I have all this right? LOL...maybe it 5.5 miles were all down hill...LOL.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1
Videos of real train and this interesting article about it...the train was made of hardened cardboard. http://news.asiaone.com/news/asia/cardbo...avels-85km There are dozens of the Tomy version popping up on the Japan Auctions now.

[-] The following 2 users Like Super's post:
  • Gerisplarail1, plarailfan