Bachmann 00 Gauge - Underground Ernie Set

22 Replies, 25414 Views

Hi Folks,

Something a bit different this time, still an OO gauge electric train, still runs on standard HO/OO track with a standard analogue controller, but this set comes with a nice set of Bachmann EZ track which has built in roadbed rather than just naked sleepers (bit like the trackmaster2 stuff I guess Smile) and unusually an underground train!

If you're not aware of Underground Ernie it is a short lived cartoon series about a guy (called Ernie) and his underground train friends.

As you'll see this set comes with one two carriage underground train (central line) and others are available at quite reasonable prices. This set is long discontinued, but I was lucky to snag a brand new one Smile

I figured this would make a nice addition to go alongside my Hornby Thomas trains Smile

Enjoy!

[Image: IMG_20180509_202230659.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180509_202346179.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180509_202356304.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180509_202501492.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20180509_202507767.jpg]
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
[-] The following 2 users Like Nigels's post:
  • Off The Rails, Super
Wow...so nice to see new, boxed items and the box looks in great condition as are those Styrofoam inserts.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Nigels
I remember this series. It was (very) loosely based on the London Underground here in Britain, with most of the trains being named after lines on the system. (Circle, Victoria, Bakerloo, Jubilee, and Hammersmith and City.) There were also trains from other underground systems, named after the city that served them. (Sydney, Moscow, Paris, Brooklyn, etc)

[Image: StockDetail.aspx]

The 'Circle' set was released around 2009, as an alternative to Bachmann's 'Junior' range, with the other trains available in 2-car packs. There was also an accessory pack based on the central station in the series, along with another destination that I can't remember the name of. (Mystery Mansion, I think.)

Hope this helps, as at this point my memory is fried after extracting all of this from it.
Collecting without a clue since 2010
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chrizzly's post:
  • Super
I saw a video of commercials for the toy line from this series and thought it looked remarkably like Plarail.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Off The Rails's post:
  • Super
Is the video Online?
(05-10-2018, 04:21 PM)Super Wrote: Is the video Online?

Videos of the show are available on YouTube as I found them while looking for ones of these sets. I did find a couple of videos reviewing some of the trains and they do indeed look very much like PlaRail hence my interest to combine them with Hornby Thomas trains Smile

Interesting cross over here (not Bachmann);

At first I didn't think the trains in the last two videos would run well on the curves of Tomy tracks because they were too long. Then I saw a side view and how short the wheel base is under the long shell which should work well on the Tomy track.. Cute faces but no couplings for added coaches?
No these were marketed it seems as single carriage trains, still a potential good add for a part of your layout with underground/subway stations Smile
In the series they were only ever run as 2-car sets, so there wouldn't really be much need for extra coaches.
Collecting without a clue since 2010
[-] The following 2 users Like Chrizzly's post:
  • Nigels, Super
Thanks Chrizzly
[-] The following 1 user Likes Super's post:
  • Chrizzly