Resistor or diode or other?

16 Replies, 13259 Views

Hi All,  first thought is that we have mod guide thread and mod gallery, we should have a dedicated repair thread or a dedicated 'what is this?' thread.

Anyhow, on to my issue.  I bought a broken monorail ("monorail advice" if youre interested https://www.blueplastictracks.com/showth...p?tid=3285).

I tore it apart and tested everything and I have isolated it to this little bugger not working.  if I bypass this, the thing seems to work just fine... but one assumes they put this there for a reason, huh?
[Image: monorail_diode_resistor.jpg]  [Image: IMG_8949.jpg]  [Image: IMG_8950.jpg]  [Image: IMG_8952.jpg]

Everyone is telling me that its a resistor, which was my first thought.  The only problem is that it clearly only has 2 bands; the pics might have a reflection making it look like more.  its clearly 2 brown bands.  When I search online I cant find anything that references resistors with 2 bands.  everything I have read says 3 or more.  

Does anyone have any experience with this or suggestions?

Thanks!
KMOTT
It may be a capacitor, although it does look like a resistor at first glance Smile
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
A fuse possibly?
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
Thanks for all the advice so far. This is frustrating. What I am wondering is, if it runs on 1.5 volts, what the heck does it need a resistor/capacitor/diode/fuse for anyway?
So I dont blow the motor? At this point I’ll risk it and worst case- I have to put a new motor in it...
Ugh, any other thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!
Often a motor will have a capacitor on it to prevent electrical interference on radio/tv signals etc...

How was it attached? Was it inline (i.e. from a terminal to the motor) or across the two motor terminals? If the latter it is a good bet it was a capacitor used to smooth the power...
Happily collecting things all my life... Big Grin
I would go for it. As you mention you may have to replace the motor eventually but I would think it should be fine. I have removed these types of things from the Steam Along and TnA engines and not seen an issue. Some seem to actually run better without. I think sometimes they are used to also keep noise down in these motors, but I have not noticed a huge difference.
Ripley,
You rock. There are some pictures in my other post (id put a link to it but im on my ipad now and I dont know how). But yes, its between the battery terminal and the on/off switch.
Maybe its there to slow a surge of power from the battery when the switch is turned on? These Monorail motors run slower than the same train motors but I don't know if the power is reduced by the gearing or a reduction of the 1.5volts or maybe to protect that circuit board after the switch.
[Image: super-smiley-emoticon.gif]
https://postimg.cc/CZnqd4rx
[Image: D92_AF8_AC-2_EF6-4_CAA-87_AA-_DA14_BE2_BE11_A_note.jpg]

Here is the image from the other post.
@kmott,

Could you describe how the component was attached/connected to the circuit before you took it out?

Thank you.

-plarnold